Monday, January 31, 2011

So I Married an Axe Murderer (1/5)

Awhile ago i was severely bored and couldn't sleep so I watched 'So I Married an Axe Murderer' (1993) on Netflix, a decision which i deeply regret. 'So I Married an Axe Murderer' is a 90's comedy, and I use the term comedy very liberally here, starring Mike Meyers; the basic premise is that Meyers' character starts dating a butcher, played by Nancy Travis, and begins to suspect that she is a serial killer known for marrying men and then killing them on their honeymoons. It's actually not a half bad premise and could have been a decent movie Meyers, however, seems bent on turning what should have been a dark comedy into an immature, childish, slapstick level disaster.
Now don't get me wrong, I love some good slapstick, but it simply doesn't belong in this sort of movie and even if you were to transpose Meyers' performance to a kids movie where it belongs it would still be mediocre at best. Even worse than the comedy, again used liberally, itself is the fact that every time he tells a joke, Meyers gets this idiotic look on his face and goes in cartoon voice as if to say "I just told a joke, can ya tell?! Do ya get it?!?! Man I'm wacky!!" (at this point the audience slit their own wrists just to be free of this moron). Believe it or not folks this movie gets worse, yes still worse than all the other crap Meyers insists on doing, he also *dramatic pause* performs poetry. It's not even like Poe or Frost or someone good, no he reads his own bullshit 90's coffeehouse poetry complete with a jazz band in background, which is all about whatever girl just dumped him and what a bitch she is. It's just god-awful.
If any comedian with a little more restraint and talent than Meyers had played this part, 'So I Married an Axe Murderer' might have been a half way decent little comedy, but due to Mike Meyers and his bash-the-audience-over-the-head comedic style, this movie is nothing short of mild torture.

IMDb Page

3 comments:

  1. I think you're being a bit harsh on the man. Myer's style has always been over the top where the humor comes from the absurdity of the situations. Not everything has to be subtle or even particularly clever to have merit. His humor is also generally full of more subtle things under the surface.

    Everyone is entitled to their opinions but I think calling a man that plays multiple roles in his movies (and quite convincingly) a moron is a bit out of line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your point and I'm not denouncing everything he's done, I actually like a good portion of his stuff, and I am a fan of over the top silly humor, I'm just saying that this particular performance was obnoxiously over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike Meyers was good in Inglorious Basterds

    ReplyDelete